Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sunday, 13 March: Day 2 of Project 365

Close-up of the ham-veggie-frittata dinner I threw together for my uncle and me on Sunday night. Taken prior to adding the egg mix...

Photo taken with my Traveler XS 40 digital camera.

We had a ham that needed to get eaten before it went bad, and since I'm not a particularly big fan of ham I decided to scour my recipe books for ideas that would actually involve vegetables. I eventually found inspiration in The Silver Spoon, which calls itself the "bible of Italian cooking," and in Essentials of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. The Silver Spoon has five whole pages of frittata recipes, and Essentials of Italian Cooking has a recipe for "Sautéed Early Peas with Olive Oil and Prosciutto, Florentine Style," which also sounded tasty. Since we also had some eggs that were about to go bad, I thought I would combine the two ideas.

At the grocery store I picked up some frozen baby peas, fresh organic broccolini, some mushrooms, and a live basil plant. Back at home I let the peas thaw while I cut the ham slices into little squares, chopped the broccolini, chopped some fresh basil, and prepared my egg mixture. For the egg mixture I added four medium eggs to a bowl, whisked in a little milk, added a bit of salt & pepper, sprinkled in a couple teaspoons oregano, then let it sit.

Next I got out a pan, added some butter, and let that melt. Once it had melted I put the ham in and accidentally dumped in waaaay more peas than I had intended. I went ahead and tossed in the broccolini, basil, and about a tablespoon of minced garlic, then set about chopping a little more ham and added two more eggs and a tad more milk to the egg mix.

After adding the extra ham and some mushrooms into the pan, I stirred it all around to make sure the ham and veggie mix was nicely coated in butter, then let it cook with a lid on for about five minutes on medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Once the five minutes were up and everything was looking tasty, this mix was ready for its first close-up!

Photo shoot over, I poured the egg mix over the ham and veg and stirred it to get an even distribution, then sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top. I was hoping to end up with a frittata-like product that I would be able to flip, so I let it cook without touching it too much until it seemed like things were pretty solid. In the end, this creation didn't want to be flipped so it ended up looking more like scrambled eggs, but it was still super tasty! My uncle had two large helpings, and there was enough left over for my lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment